About the Department
The Department of Music offers a strong undergraduate music program, where students study with full-time faculty professionals in a supportive environment that encourages students to become their best.
The curriculum provides:
- A comprehensive program of professional studies for students who wish to prepare for careers in music, including teaching, performance, and composition, and for students who plan to pursue graduate studies in music.
- Courses in music literature, theory and areas of performance for all students, regardless of major.
- The department embodies the land-grant philosophy of service to the people of the state with a faculty of active scholars, teachers, and artists committed to excellence in teaching, creative and scholarly work, and arts outreach. The department is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
From the 2003-5 ISU Catalog
Iowa State University Department of Music Vision
The department has a strong tradition of offering the best in undergraduate education and outreach. It is committed to:
- recruiting outstanding student musicians.
- offering personal attention, small class sizes, outstanding faculty, and a student-centered learning environment.
- providing opportunities for all students to have memorable, first-class experiences in the performing arts.
- developing national stature in the understanding and effective use of technology in the performing arts.
- supporting diversity through the study and performance of music from various world cultures.
- creating outstanding music/theatre professionals as well as life-long learners.
- placing all graduates in teaching, business, graduate school, or professional performance venues.